GO IT ALONE!
2. PRINCIPLES FOR SUCCESS|
Go-it-alone entrepreneurs have carefully thought through the dynamics of their business system and eliminated the potential bottlenecks to growth. With few exceptions, these businesses share several core operating principles: These stand at the heart of every successful go-it-alone business. We’ve already discussed three of these: personal leverage, extreme outsourcing, and relentless repeatability, that enable founders to focus on what they do best. The remaining 10 principles, listed below, are discussed at length in this chapter:
- Focus on reducing the risks associated with a potential failure.
- Never get too far ahead of your customers.
- Make a rigorous commitment to flexibility and ongoing innovation.
- Create the ability to scale.
- Maintain an experimental attitude.
- Take yourself off the clock.
- Master the potential of new technologies.
- Develop a bias toward action, starting with small steps.
- Affirm your determination—make a commitment to find a way.
- Only use off-the-shelf products and services.
Search the complete text of Go It Alone!
GO IT ALONE! Copyright 2004 by Bruce Judson. Reprinted by permission of HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.